I have been health testing my Pugs via The NPDC National Health Scheme, which is ran by The Northern Pug Dog Club in the UK. Information on the scheme is available at northernpugdogclub.org.uk/pug-health
PUGS TO BE TESTED FROM 12 MONTHS OF AGE – KC Registration Number, Name, date of birth, sex, colour and microchip number must be included on all test results.
1. Heart – comment on any abnormality on auscultation.
2. Respiratory function – (Grade 0,1,2,3 or 4 – see guidance notes for Nasal roll, Nostrils and BOAS Function Grading). Record any evidence of surgery.
3. Eyes – Please note any surgery scars or any condition causing pain and suffering. See grading chart.
4. Skin – Please comment on any sign of infection or hair loss. (Grade 0,1,2 or 3)
5. Ears – Please comment on any sign of infection. (Grade any stenosis Grade 0,1,2 or 3)
6. Patella – Grading according to the Putnam Scoring System – (Grade 0,1,2,3 or 4)
7. PDE result if available. Optional for Bronze, but required for Silver.
A BRONZE CERTIFICATE WILL NOT BE ISSUED IF THE PUG DOES NOT MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
Clear Heart – referred to a cardiologist (if abnormality found)
Eyes – with any conditions that are detrimental to the dog’s health
Any sign of aggression.
TO PROGRESS TO THE SILVER LEVEL:
The following criteria must be met:
1. Your pug must hold a BRONZE CERTIFICATE.
2. PDE – Proof of result of DNA testing. It is recommended that UC Davis California be used for PDE testing and that at least one parent of any litter be reported as NN.
3. HV – Proof of pug being x-rayed clear of HV.
4. BOAS Testing or Respiratory Function Grading with a Grade 2 result. (test performed at 1 year of age)
A SILVER CERTIFICATE WILL NOT BE ISSUED FOR PUGS THAT ARE:
Grade 3 for BOAS or Respiratory Function Grading or have received treatment for BOAS should not be bred from.
Patella Graded 3 or 4.
TO PROGRESS TO THE GOLD CERTIFICATE:
1. Your pug must be over 1 year of age and hold both BRONZE and SILVER CERTIFICATES. KC Registration Number and Name must be shown on all results along with colour, sex and date of birth.
2. A BOAS Assessment or a Respiratory Function Grading, with a Grade 0 or 1 result
3. Patella Grading 0 or 1.
All of my dogs have now been fully health tested, and I am pleased to say that Peanut, Tor, and Rio hold Gold Certificates, and that Poppy and Ruby hold Silver Certificates.
When BOAS tested Peanut, Tor, Rio and Ruby were a Grade 1 and Poppy was a Zero.